Criminal case filed against former deputy police chief

first_imgA criminal case against former deputy police chief Andreas Kyriacou was filed on Tuesday at the Nicosia district court over an alleged leak of classified information to the press.The proceeding is set to begin on July 3 before the Nicosia Criminal Court.Kyriacou was fired some two weeks ago by President Nicos Anastasiades after Attorney-General Costas Clerides announced he appeared to have been behind the unauthorised leaking of confidential information, including the tip from Serbian Interpol of a foiled assassination attempt, and the likely leaker of a 2015 internal police report on preventing and combating corruption to an MP and the press.The government had said that as the deputy chief cannot be suspended until the end of a trial, the president had no other choice but to fire him.According to the Cyprus News Agency (CNA) the charge sheet filed to court includes three charges; for breach of confidentiality in relation to the contents of the Interpol Nicosia case, and for the dissemination and leakage of classified information in connection with the contents of the Interpol Nicosia files. The third charge concerns breach of confidentiality in relation to a January 2015 study on the prevention and handling of corruption in the Cyprus Police.The indictment, CNA reported, includes 27 prosecution witnesses, including Justice Minister Ionas Nicolaou.Clerides drew his conclusions after reading the results of the probe carried out by three independent criminal investigators on the possible involvement of police officers in cases of corruption or graft. The investigation was prompted by a letter by Police Chief Zacharias Chrysostomou laying out evidence gathered in the process of investigating the quadruple murder in Ayia Napa last June, in which a police sergeant was one of the victims.Following the shooting, classified information concerning the handling of the case by police was leaked to the media. According to the probe results, the only person that could have leaked that classified information, contained in a file of Nicosia Interpol, to the media was Kyriacou.Kyriacou, according to the conclusions of the investigation, is also suspected to have been the leaker of the 2015 report which had been classified as a service document and was intended only for internal police use. A copy of the report was presented last June however by an MP at the House ethics committee while the next day parts of it were published in a newspaper.Anastasiades had said that even though the alleged offences are not deemed as corruption offences, he had to dismiss Kyriacou for reasons of public interest.Kyriacou had said he would fight the case in court.You May LikeClassmates.comLook For Any High School Yearbook, It’s FreeClassmates.comUndoFigLeaf Beta AppHow to Become Fully Anonymous Online in Less Than 3 Minutes? Better safe than sorryFigLeaf Beta AppUndoTruthFinder People Search SubscriptionOne Thing All Liars Have in Common, Brace YourselfTruthFinder People Search SubscriptionUndo Concern over falling tourism numbersUndoAuthorities release five of 12 Israeli rape suspects, seven due in court FridayUndoPensioner dies after crash on Paphos-Polis roadUndoby Taboolaby Taboolalast_img read more

Government satisfied with securitygenerals report Updated

first_imgPresident Nicos Anastasiades had not set preconditions for the resumption of talks as certain people had suggested, government spokesman Prodromos Prodromou said on Saturday, a day after it emerged that the UN would be dispatching a senior official to test the waters for resuming reunification talks.Responding to the release of an advanced copy of UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres’ report, Prodromou noted the fact that he was interested in continuing the negotiation and intended to appoint an envoy to sound out the two sides.Anstasiades, the spokesman said “was not setting preconditions as certain people had suggested; he meant exactly what the SG is proposing now, that is, an adviser to test the waters, to determine if readiness really exists.“We hope the Turkish side will also display readiness since, as it is known, so far there was no positive response from Anakara to appoint an SG adviser,” Prodromou said. “In any case, our side, the president, is ready.”“I believe there is still scope for the sides to act responsibly and decisively in order to chart a common way forward for the island,” Guterres said in his report.“In the coming period, I intend to send a senior UN official to conduct in-depth consultations with the parties. The consultations will provide a more formal, structured, and detailed channel for the parties to convey to the UN the outcomes of their reflection since Crans-Montana and to help determine whether conditions have or have not matured at this stage for a meaningful process. I encourage the parties to recognise the importance of this exercise and to seize the opportunity accordingly.”He said that should the sides jointly decide to resume talks, the six-point framework that he had introduced in Crans-Montana on June 30, 2017 could form the basis for negotiations aimed at reaching a strategic agreement and paving the way for the comprehensive settlement.The framework contained elements related to territory, political equality, property, equivalent treatment, and security and guarantees and became the focus of a debate in the Greek Cypriot side after Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci announced in April this year that he accepted it the way it was submitted.The secretary-general’s statement in his report that his June 30 framework could form the basis of negotiations is significant because of the government’s response to Akinci’s invitation to resume talks based on the framework.Anastasiades issued a written statement on May 2, in which he replied that if Akinci accepted the Guterres’ framework, “as it was presented to the sides on July 4, this is a positive development”.However the July 4 document was not the Guterres framework but rather the Greek Cypriot’s interpretation of it, following clarifications from former special envoy Espen Barth Eide.Prodromou said the secretary-general’s report proved there was interest and the Greek Cypriot side was satisfied because “reference is made to the Guterres framework, which, beyond dates, discussions, it clearly includes six parameters, among which the two that are essential to us, abolition of guarantees and Turkey’s rights of intervention, and withdrawal of the occupying army.”  You May LikeBusiness+15 JOBS WE’RE ABOUT TO LOSE THANKS TO COMPUTERSBusiness+UndoWomenReality6 Tasty Foods That Help You Grow Hair Much FasterWomenRealityUndoZimbioWhat You Need To Know About Every Movie Coming To Theaters This SummerZimbioUndo Heroes’ welcome for Israeli teens after woman detained for false rape claim (Update 2)UndoTwo days of music to dance toUndoMayors lobbying president to prevent local govt mergersUndoby Taboolaby Taboolalast_img read more