APTN National NewsCheez Wiz costs $29 and a bottle of juice $38.Those are the store-shelf prices in Arctic Bay, Nunavut.Nunavut MLA Ron Elliot, who took photographs of the products and prices as proof, blames the federal government for putting elders and those on social assistance at risk by cutting subsidies to the cost of shipping foods north.
The Boy Scouts of America are cutting more than 30 positions from the staff of its two flagship magazines—Boy’s Life and Scouting—and its communications department, FOLIO: has learned.BSA says 17 people were laid off on June 10, with another 17 expected to come by the end of the year. A spokesman would not confirm the positions of those being terminated.The moves come after the organization “began discussing a partnership with Pearson [publishing company]” last year “to review [BSA’s] challenges and opportunities from a technology, publications and communications perspective,” according to Deron Smith, director of public relations for BSA, in an email to FOLIO:. “Recently the BSA took a difficult but critical step in transforming the organizational structure of its marketing department which involved eliminating 34 positions deemed not to effectively meet the core objectives of the BSA’s publishing and communications needs,” Smith says. “The BSA expects this change to improve the national council’s ability to serve the BSA’s local councils. “Smith told FOLIO: sister publication min that there are “no plans to change the printing schedule of either publication at this time.” Boy’s Life is monthly; Scouting has five issues per year.Circulation for both titles-currently at just over 1 million for Boy’s Life and just under 1 million for Scouting-has dropped steadily since 2009, per the Alliance for Audited Media.BSA’s magazine publishing revenues have fluctuated, but trended downward over the same period. The segment earned $16.10 million in 2012, according to the organization’s annual report, while operating at a $1.05 million profit margin. BSA cut its publishing expenses by about $900,000 from 2011 to 2012 however (see below).BSA says its providing severance packages and out placement services for the terminated employees, while indicating that the restructuring is unrelated to recent changes in membership standards.BSA voted to allow openly gay youths to join the organization in May after years of opposition.To stay updated on the latest FOLIO: news, become a Facebook fan and follow us on Twitter!More on this topic People on the Move | 06.05.09 People on the Move | 08.13.09 Sporting News Mag Goes Monthly Schofield Media Buys CTQ Emmis Cuts Corporate Salaries by 3 Percent Emmis Cuts 4.5 Percent of WorkforceJust In Editor & Publisher Magazine Sold to Digital Media Consultant TIME Names New Sales, Marketing Leads | People on the Move PE Firm Acquires Majority Stake in Industry Dive This Just In: Magazines Are Not TV Networks Meredith Corp. Makes Digital-Side Promotions | People on the Move The Atlantic Names New Global Marketing Head | People on the MovePowered by
WILMINGTON, MA — Below is a round-up of what’s going on in Wilmington on Sunday, September 30, 2018:Happening Today:Weather: Sunny, with a high near 67. Northwest wind 3 to 8 mph.In The Community: The Wilmington Farmers Market continues its season from 10am to 1pm on the Swain Green (across from the Town Common). See this week’s lineup HERE.Next Door: U.S. Congressman Seth Moulton, who represents Wilmington and the rest of the the 6th Congressional District of Massachusetts, is holding a Town Hall from 1:45pm to 2:45pm at Tewksbury Town Hall (1009 Main Street, Tewksbury).Next Door: The Tewksbury Public Events and Celebrations Committee (TPEC) will host its fifth annual Fall Harvest Festival from noon to 5pm at Livingston Fields. TPEC is bringing a variety of food, fun and entertainment for this year’s harvest festival. If you have attended in years past, you will see some familiar faces in Rattlesnake Alley, Wicked Cornhole, and Wicked Cheesy. In addition to live musical entertainment and a couple of wicked Tewksbury businesses, the festival will include a number of craft and food vendors. Carnival rides include round-up, super slide, train ride, and moonwalk. Unlimited-ride bracelets can be purchased for $10 per person — cash only. Kids can ride any ride as often as they like with these bracelets. There will also be pie-eating contests, kids’ crafts, and additional live entertainment. Parking is available at Tewksbury State Hospital with free shuttle buses to the festival. Parking on Livingston Street is limited to vendors, volunteers, handicapped-placarded vehicles.In The Community: The Middlesex Canal Museum and Visitors’ Center (71 Faulkner Street, North Billerica) is open from noon to 4pm. Learn about the canal, which travels through Wilmington.MBTA Reminder: There will be no weekend commuter rail service on the Lowell Line (Wilmington Center) until December. A free shuttle bus will be available. Learn more HERE.Food Shopping: Food shopping in town this week? In case you haven’t seen this week’s circulars, Wilmington Apple has you covered:This week’s circular from Market Basket (260 Main Street) can be found HERE.This week’s circular from Lucci’s Market (211 Lowell Street) can be found HERE.Elia’s Country Store (381 Middlesex Avenue) does not have an online circular, but the store posts its hot entree schedule and other specials on its Facebook page HERE.(NOTE: What did I miss? Let me know by commenting below, commenting on the Facebook page, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. I may be able to update this post.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedThe Wilmington Insider For August 23, 2018In “5 Things To Do Today”The Wilmington Insider For October 17, 2018In “5 Things To Do Today”The Wilmington Insider For September 11, 2018In “5 Things To Do Today”
Acupuncture may have the potential to effectively reduce incidences of excessive crying in babies with infantile colic, researchers say.Infantile colic, also known as baby colic, is defined as episodes of crying for more than three hours a day, for more than three days a week, for three weeks in an otherwise healthy child.Excessive crying in babies is an issue for up to one in five families, causing pain for the baby and stress for the parents, the study said. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfThe findings showed that needling twice a week for a period of two weeks significantly reduced the crying time in babies.“For those infants that continue to cry for more than three hours each day, acupuncture may be an effective treatment option,” said Kajsa Landgren from Lund University in Sweden.Previous studies have associated acupuncture with relieving pain, restoring gut function as well as inducing calm.In the study, the team compared two types of acupuncture in 144 babies aged between two and eight weeks of age and randomly allocated each child to one of three groups (A-C). Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsive Group A received standard minimal acupuncture at one acupuncture point, group B were given tailored acupuncture at a maximum of five acupuncture points and group C received no acupuncture.The results showed that the amount of time spent crying excessively fell in all three groups, which is not unexpected as colic tends to clear up by itself eventually.But the magnitude of this reduction was greater in those given either type of acupuncture than it was in those given standard care alone, suggesting that the babies tolerated the ancient method fairly well, the researchers said.“Fussing and crying are normal communications for a baby, therefore a reduction to normal levels (rather than silence) is the goal of treatment,” Landgren noted.The research was published in the journal Acupuncture in Medicine.
Kolkata: A major fire broke out at a plastic goods factory near Ghola in North 24-Parganas on Sunday morning. As the factory was filled with inflammable materials the fire took a devastating shape.About 25 fire tenders were pressed into action. According to local residents, the fire was brought under control around 9 pm on Sunday, but fire fighters could not enter the factory as some of parts of the unit were still ablaze. Also due to the heat, getting inside the factory was impossible till Sunday night. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata BoseAround 11:30 am on Sunday, thick black smoke was seen coming out of the factory. Due to panic staff and labours rushed out of the factory. Later, it was found that some of the labours were trapped inside. The New Barrackpore police station and fire brigade were informed. Primarily 10 fire tenders were pressed in to action. But soon fire fighters realised that the fire is spreading fast. Immediately more fire tenders were requested. By 2 pm, 15 more fire tenders were sent. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataAs the fire already took a devastating shape, fire fighters had no other way than to spray water from a safe distance. Upon receiving the news, fire minister Sujit Bose rushed to the spot. According to the fire fighters, as inflammable materials were on fire, the unit would be ablaze till these materials melt. Thus the fire fighters had targeted to prevent the fire from spreading fast. Around 9 pm fire was brought under control but fire fighters could not enter the factory due to the heat. Fire fighters are continuously spraying waters to douse the flames. As the building got seriously damaged due to the fire, it is feared that it may collapse anytime. It is suspected that an electrical short-circuit might had triggered the fire. Till Sunday night no one was found dead or alive in the factory as none could enter the premises. According to fire fighters if anyone is trapped inside, chance of survival is nil.
WestJet issues MAX-8 update, will remove aircraft from flight schedules Tags: boeing, WestJet Share Wednesday, March 20, 2019 Travelweek Group Posted by CALGARY — As of March 25, WestJet’s 13 Boeing 737 MAX-8 aircraft will be removed from its flight schedules through the end of April.The airline has provided the update following Transport Canada’s safety notice to close Canadian airspace to the aircraft. It also said that it continues to “monitor this dynamic situation” and will “balance further extension of a revised schedule” as more information becomes available.WestJet has 168 aircraft, or more than 93% of its overall fleet, that remain in service. It assures travel agents that they can book their clients with confidence knowing that it continues to fly throughout the network with the safety of guests and employees as the priority.Since the grounding of the MAX-8, of the more than 65,000 guests booked on MAX flights up to March 31, more than 85% had little to no changes to their flight schedules.“We are closely in contact with Boeing, Transport Canada and other regulators to understand how and when to safely reintroduce the MAX-8 aircraft into service,” WestJet said in its update. “WestJet remains unrelenting in putting safety at the forefront and will thoroughly evaluate processes, procedures and any further required training before these aircraft once again take to the skies.”More news: Help Princess Cruises break the world record for largest vow renewal at seaIn the case a client is impacted and needs to make adjustments, agents can continue to use the existing waiver code BMAX0319. For more information regarding this waiver code, go to https://www.westjettravelagents.com/app/uploads/2019/03/Waiver-Code-March-13-2019-V2.pdf. << Previous PostNext Post >>