Joshua to face Ruiz rematch before end of year: Hearn

first_imgFILE PHOTO: Anthony Joshua to have a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr.New York, United States | AFP | Anthony Joshua will attempt to reclaim his heavyweight titles from Andy Ruiz Jr. before the end of year after activating a rematch clause in his contract, promoter Eddie Hearn said Tuesday.In a brief post on Twitter, Hearn said Joshua had opted for an immediate rematch against Ruiz Jr, who shocked the boxing world with a seventh-round knockout of the British fighter on Saturday.“After meetings with AJ, (trainer) Rob (McCracken) and the management team in NY, we have today triggered the contracted rematch clause with Andy Ruiz Jnr,” Hearn wrote. “The fight will take place in Nov/Dec at a venue to be confirmed shortly.”Ruiz Jr. pulled off one of the biggest upsets in the history of the heavyweight division at Madison Square Garden on Saturday with his sensational stoppage of Joshua, the previously unbeaten WBA, IBF, and WBO heavyweight champion.The 29-year-old Ruiz started the fight as a massive 32-1 underdog but floored Joshua four times on his way to a win which upended the heavyweight division.While Hearn has indicated the rematch is likely to take place in Britain, where Joshua regularly sells out large-capacity venues, some reports have indicated it may yet take place in Las Vegas or Los Angeles. “If AJ bounces back and defeats Ruiz in a rematch, he’s a bigger star than he was prior to [Saturday] night,” Hearn said. “The rematch is so important to his career, we went to Ruiz’s country so I expect the next one to take place in the UK,” he added.Joshua meanwhile has dismissed suggestions he may require a warm-up fight to prepare himself for a Ruiz rematch.“What’s a warm-up fight?” he told British reporters after Saturday’s defeat.“I’m down to scrap. No warm-up. That’d be stupid. No way.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Brand South Africa to host a Nation Brand toolkit engagement

first_imgBrand South Africa in partnership with the Marketing Association of South Africa (MASA) and the Nelson Mandela Foundation will host the Marketing Metrics Masterclass with an objective of enhancing and understanding of the application of a range of mathematical and financial tools that can assist to formulate to plan and measure the results of strategic marketing efforts.The engagement will be hosted on Wednesday 18 April 2018 at the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The key speaker at this masterclass will be Prof Geoff Bick from UCT School of business.“Brand South Africa is mandated to manage the country’s image and reputation and as such it continuously seeks to engage in public and private collaborations with an objective of strengthening relations and promoting cohesive approach when marketing Nation Brand internationally”, said Brand South Africa’s General Manager for Marketing, Ms Sithembile Ntombela“The Marketing Association of South Africa is therefore ideal as it encourages the development and education of Marketers which enhance the skills of South Africans in the marketing profession”, adds Ms Ntombela.For more information or to set up interviews, please contact: Ntombi Ntanzi on: +27 11 712 5071last_img read more

Maroons nip Tigers on Desiderio triple; Archers escape

first_imgFrontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  ‘Why even bother? UNHRC is a toothless tiger’ – Roque PLAY LIST 01:32‘Why even bother? UNHRC is a toothless tiger’ – Roque02:36Archers, Eagles favorites to win UAAP Season 8001:18Why some freed inmates prefer to stay in jail01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Finding his team trailing by two points after being in control for most of the game, Paul Desiderio’s voice resonated during University of the Philippines’ huddle with five seconds remaining.“Atin na ‘to, pasok to (This game is ours, I’m making the shot),” the swingman told his teammates.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. In the second game, defending champion La Salle rode the hot hands of Aljun Melecio as it turned back Far Eastern U,95-90, in their first meeting since their infamous brawl in Davao three weeks ago.Melecio waxed hot with 29 points, while Andrei Caracut and Kib Montalbo contributed 16 and 12 points, respectively, for the Archers who also got solid games from big men Abu Tratter and Prince Rivero in the absence of reigning MVP Ben Mbala.Mbala is away on international duty for Cameroon in the Fiba Afrobasket.The Archers came out aggressive, leading by as many as 23 points early on.While it was too close for comfort, the win was just the kind of game that Perasol liked since it achieved one of his targets when he took over the team last season.ADVERTISEMENT View comments LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Desiderio made good on his promise, hitting a fallaway triple off a well-designed inbound play as the Fighting Maroons eked out a 74-73 victory over a gritty University of Santo Tomas squad in UAAP Season 80 basketball tournament at Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.“During our last timeout, he called it,” said Perasol of his prized guard, who made just one of his 10 triples before the game winner. “He told me ‘coach, we will win, I’m making the shot’ because our instruction was if you’re open at the three-point area, take it.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutDesiderio’s shot with 1.4 ticks left capped a wild finish where both teams bungled possessions.“I was taking so many shots,” said the Cebuano guard, who made just six of his 20 shots. “Why would I shy away from taking the last shot?” LATEST STORIES BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Menor’s record win Read Next E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad  “The UP community may not care what happened during the game, but it generated excitement,” said Perasol.The Maroons led by as many as 11 points in the second half only for the Tigers to come roaring back in the fourth period to dispel notions that they aren’t good enough to contend this season.“A lot of people are not giving UST a chance but it can give teams a fight,” Perasol said.UP 74 – UST 73UP 74—Desiderio 17, Vito 9, Webb 7, Gomez de Liano Ju 7, Manzo 6, Gomez de Liano Ja 6, Ouattara 4, Lim 4, Prado 4, Dario 4, Lao 4, Romero 2, Harris 0.UST 73—Lee 20, Akomo 15, Sta. Ana 11, Soriano 8, Huang 6, Garcia 5, Faundo 4, Arana 2, De Guzman 2, Basibas 0, Caunan 0, Kwawukumey 0, Macasaet 0, Romero 0.Quarters: 18-19, 42-33, 57-57, 74-73LA SALLE 95 – FEU 90DLSU 95—Melecio 29, Caracut 16, Montalbo 12, Tratter 11, Santillan 9, Ricci Rivero 7, Baltazar 4, Go 3, Prince Rivero 2, Paraiso 2, Capacio 0.FEU 90—Dennison 21, Comboy 13, Orizu 12, Tuffin 10, Cani 7, Tolentino 7, Parker 7, Iñigo 5, Escoto 5, Trinidad 3, Nunag 0, Ebona 0, Bienes 0.Quarters: 29-11, 47-32, 73-54, 95-90 Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president MOST READlast_img read more

10 months agoBurnley boss Dyche confirms successful Lennon op

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Burnley boss Dyche confirms successful Lennon opby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley boss Sean Dyche has confirmed successful surgery for Aaron Lennon.Dyche revealed that Lennon has undergone knee surgery that will keep him out for an unspecified amount of time.Lennon sustained cartilage damage in last Saturday’s 1-0 defeat against former club Tottenham at Wembley.“It’s a tidying up situation. He’s happy with it and the surgeon is happy with it.”Hopefully it will be a straight-forward recovery, albeit some time.” last_img

Maersk Product Tankers Ends Challenging Year in Loss

first_imgzoomIllustration; Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Despite outperforming the market on time charter equivalent earnings and costs, 2018 was a financially challenging year for Maersk Product Tankers.The company faced the lowest spot market rates seen in a decade. Revenue in 2018 increased to USD 647 million from USD 621.1 million reported a year earlier.During the period, Maersk Tankers recorded a loss of USD 31.1 million, significantly less compared to a loss of USD 489.9 million seen in the previous year.The results were affected by the low spot market rates, but the company outperformed the market quarter on quarter, realizing a decline in time charter equivalent of 2.7% from 2017 compared to a decline in the market of 14.5%.“Of course, we are not satisfied with the results. Having said that, we are among the industry leaders on performance and costs, despite the tough market conditions,” Christian M. Ingerslev, CEO at Maersk Product Tankers, said.The company’s strong balance sheet and significant investments build a solid foundation for the future, especially in areas that will strengthen the company commercially and operationally, while focusing on safety and keeping vessels’ daily running costs at competitive levels, Ingerslev explained.“We are prepared to take advantage of market opportunities that arise, retaining a market-leading position and remaining a vessel owner of choice among customers. This is possible due to a strong balance sheet which enables us to secure a competitive, high-quality fleet that is able to meet customer demand for global transportation of cargoes in a safe, efficient and reliable manner,” says Ingerslev.Maersk Product Tankers said it remains positive about the mid- and long-term prospects for the tanker industry, and is well positioned to exploit the opportunities that will emerge.On the demand side, trade is expected to increase sharply, driven by the advent of the new IMO 2020 sulphur regulations. With slowing vessel supply growth and vessel demand expected to rise, product tanker freight rates are projected to increase, starting at the end of 2019. Maersk Product Tankers’ result for 2019 is expected to improve due to higher freight rates and lower vessel operating costs.last_img read more

Gymboree begins winding down operations after 2nd bankruptcy

first_imgSAN FRANCISCO — Gymboree is filing for bankruptcy protection for a second time in as many years, but this time the children’s clothing retailer will begin winding down operations for good.The San Francisco company said late Wednesday that it will close all of its Gymboree and Crazy 8 stores, and attempt sell its Janie and Jack business, intellectual property and online business.Gymboree, which began offering classes for mothers and their children in 1976, runs 380 Gymboree stores in the U.S. and Canada. When it first sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in June 2017, it ran 1,300 stores.The company has suffered in the post-recession years like almost all mall-based retail stores.Gymboree was bought by the private equity firm Bain Capital for $1.8 billion in 2010 and taken private.The Associated Presslast_img read more

Natural Gas Transport Truck Exploded sending driver to hospital

first_imgThe driver is in the hospital with injuries that are considered to be serious.For further information on this story; CLICK HERE CHETWYND, B.C. – This past weekend, on Sunday, August 18th at 7:35 am a semi-truck carrying compressed natural gas had an incident that caused the truck to explode and send the driver to the hospital.According to Corporal Madonna Saunderson, Media Relations for the North District RCMP, the incident took place on a windy stretch of road as the vehicle travelled south-west bound towards Chetwynd.There was a single occupant in the vehicle and no other vehicles were involved. There are no causal factors currently identified and the investigation is ongoing.last_img

Gurugram: Congress fields Ajay Yadav to take on BJP’s Rao Inderjit

first_imgGururgam: Congress has fielded its veteran leader Captain Ajay Yadav from Gurugram seat. The importance of Captain Yadav can be gauged from the fact that he has won Rewari Vidhan Sabha seat six times for the Congress. He won the Rewari seat for the first time in 1989 after which he continuously emerged successful with wins in 1991, 1996, 2000, 2004 and 2009.In South Haryana where he was instrumental in making Congress a formidable party, he was rewarded with various cabinet posts in the state government that ranged from being the PWD minister to the post of finance minister. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderCaptain Yadav will be contesting for Lok Sabha seat for the first time. The Congress party first mulled of fielding him in the 2014 polls after Rao Inderjit left the party and joined Congress. Due to health reasons, Captian Yadav expressed his reluctance to fight the Lok Sabha elections in 2014. Captain Ajay Yadav is the son of Abhay Singh Yadav who was again one of the tallest Congress leaders in South Haryana. Captain Ajay Yadav served in Indian Army for seven years after he was first commissioned as an officer in 1980. He took the premature retirement in 1987 and joined the state politics. Just two years after joining the state politics, he was able to win his first assembly elections in 1989 after which his successful stint in assembly elections went on for more than 25 years. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsEver since he lost the Rewari in the 2014 Assembly elections, Captain Yadav focussed on the matters related to South Haryana and emphasised that how BJP was not able to deliver governance in the state as well as in the national level. Captain Yadav reiterated that he will fight BJP and will highlight the failures of the government both nationally and internationally. “We had made Gurugram the Millennium city. After four and a half years, the BJP has made it the most polluted city in the world. Moreover, they want to even damage the lungs of the city by moving the Aravallis out of Punjab land and Preservation Act (PLPA),” said Captain Yadav. “The citizens of Gurugram have seen through the false hopes that were given to them in the name of demonetisation and they will express their anger against the government on May 12,” he added.last_img read more