Damage and needs assessment underway, as clean-up continues in Wakenaam

first_img– central Govt could look at stricter penalties for errant contractorsForty-nine Wakenaam residents continue to clean up their homes in the aftermath of the recent flooding which occurred after a sea defence breach, the true impact of which is likely to be known in the coming days, after officials in Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara) complete a damage and needs assessment of the affected areas.That breach has been sealed and the water has receded, but Wakenaam Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) Chairman Sheik Amad told <> late Monday afternoon that the damage assessment would determine the cost and make recommendations for the needs of the 150 affected residents.“By Wednesday, we should know exactly the total cost (of) the damage that was recorded,” Amad told this publication.Workers moving to shore up the breach at Wakenaam on SundayResidents of Melville and Sans Souci in Wakenaan woke up to find salt water levels about 3 feet deep in their homes; which resulted in damage to appliances, carpets and other household items on Sunday morning. The Chairman highlighted that, even with periodic rains, workmen were labouring up to the last few daylight hours on Monday to shore up the breach, which some say was caused as a result of negligence on the part of the contractor.<> understands that some two weeks ago, construction began on a rip-rap seawall aback the Sans Souci mosque, but the structure started seeping last week Tuesday, and the contractor was called in to do remedial works thereon. Region 3 Executive Officer Denis Jaikarran and a team from the Civil Defence Commission on Sunday visited the area to assess the situation, and together facilitated distribution of hampers to residents, which included disinfectant, bleach and other cleaning materials.However, the Ministry of the Presidency noted late Sunday that remedial works have commenced in the area to prevent another occurrence.Head of the Civil Defence Commission, Lieutenant Colonel Kester Craig, was quoted as saying that there were no [further] breaches or overtopping. He noted that the CDC was able to provide supplies to the affected families to aid in their clean-up efforts, while the Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) and the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) would, in the coming days, be conducting further checks to assess the exact damage per household.“The Civil Defence Commission is extremely pleased with the work of the RDC. They have mobilised, and this is why the Regional Multi-Hazard Preparedness and Response Plan is important. CDC is just here to lend support to the region, and respond to the situation. We have provided the necessary cleaning and hygiene supplies,” Craig said.Region Three REO, Dennis Jaikarran, has said that works were being conducted on the sea defence in the area, and he has confirmed that the contractor did not follow established protocols.Jaikaran has also said the Region would now be looking to work with the Central Government and the Public Infrastructure Ministry to ensure that stricter measures are put in place to deal with contracts and public works.“We are looking at the situation and monitoring the situation. We are with the people of Wakenaam, and we believe that we would have to think about bringing some order and semblance to contracted works and contractors,” he noted.“He noted that while the water has receded, the NDC and Regional Councillors will be conducting on-the- ground assessments in the area to see how best the affected persons can be compensated for their losses”, according to a Government statement.The CDC has said that, along with the regional administration, it would continue to monitor the situation.last_img read more