Companies are facing a growing yet largely undetected threat to their worker productivity, employee retention, and competitive advantage: the needs of employees who are caregivers.The aging population, an increasingly female workforce, and the tightest job market in half a century make supporting caregivers a critical talent management issue, according to the new report, “The Caring Company: How Employers Can Cut Costs and Boost Productivity by Helping Employees Manage Caregiving Needs,” by Harvard Business School’s Joseph B. Fuller and Manjari Raman.With almost three-quarters of employees providing care to a child, parent, or friend, more workers are scaling back, stepping away, or choosing alternative professional opportunities that help them balance these demands.Companies that ignore this emerging crisis risk losing their hardest-to-find and highest-paid employees — skilled, educated professionals — potentially to competitors that move faster to meet caregivers’ needs. With those employees goes the substantial investment that companies make in recruiting, retention, and training, says Fuller, who co-leads the Managing the Future of Work project. Raman is the project’s program director and senior researcher.“Companies don’t realize that there are material returns associated with helping these workers,” says Fuller, a professor of management practice. “If I told an executive, ‘You could reduce your turnover of key personnel by 3 percent,’ they would say, ‘Where do I sign?’” Read Full Story
In a move praised by NAFCU, Federal Housing Finance Agency Director Mel Watt said Monday that his agency will not add a language-preference question to its Uniform Residential Loan Application now but will take other steps to determine how best to gather such data.Carrie Hunt, NAFCU’s executive vice president of government affairs and general counsel, said NAFCU and its members greatly welcome the FHFA’s decision to do a more thorough study. “We appreciate Director Watt’s openness on this issue and look forward to continuing to work with him and the agency as it seeks to address the needs of limited-English-proficiency consumers,” Hunt said.NAFCU and seven other financial trades wrote Watt this June urging against adding a language-preference question to the URLA until compliance and legal concerns had been addressed. Fifty-four House members supported a delay in their own letter.FHFA had been looking to include a language-preference question on the new 2016 URLA so lenders could implement it in January 2018, when new Home Mortgage Disclosure Act provisions kick in. continue reading » 2SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
14SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading » NAFCU President and CEO Dan Berger noted the association’s support for the draft language of the Financial CHOICE Act, including its elimination of the Durbin interchange price cap, in a letter yesterday to leaders of the House Financial Services Committee ahead of today’s hearing on the subject.“Many elements of the discussion draft will help create an environment that will allow credit unions to succeed,” Berger wrote to the draft’s author and House Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas, and committee Ranking Member Maxine Waters, D-Calif. “Changes to mortgage rules; changes to HMDA limits; and examining appropriate risk capital levels are key parts of the bill.”Berger specifically pointed to the elimination of the Durbin amendment in the draft language, counting it “among the most significant aspects of this discussion draft for credit unions,” and he urged that it remain intact throughout the legislative process.He wrote that NAFCU supports a commission structure for the CFPB. Berger added that NAFCU was the only financial services trade association to oppose the CFPB having authority over credit unions. He noted that since the second quarter of 2010, the industry has lost 1,660 federally-insured credit unions – more than 22 percent of the industry.
In order to encourage very large crude carriers (VLCCs) to opt for the Suez Canal rather than sail around the Cape of Good Hope, the Suez Canal Authority decided to extend the toll benefits for the sector until the end of the year.The arrangement relates to VLCCs coming from the Arabian Gulf or Caribbean Zone on a round trip and transiting the canal after discharging part of their cargo in the SUMED line.Specifically, the arrangement for VLCCs of over 250,000 dwt was introduced in June 2016 for an experimental period of 6 months and extended until the end of 2017.Under the scheme, any VLCC on its return trip from the north entrance is to pay a lump sum of USD 180,000, including extra charges levied for tugs, arrival after limit time and booking in the convoy.A 45 pct toll cut is being provided for crude oil tankers coming from ports of the US Gulf and the Caribbean area and heading to the ports west of the Indian subcontinent starting from Karachi en route to Cochin and 75 pct reduction for those heading to the ports located east of Cochin.Crude oil tankers coming from Latin American ports, starting from Columbia and heading west of the Indian subcontinent starting from Karachi and going to Cochin shall be granted 65 pct toll discount, while those heading east of Cochin will benefit from a 75 pct cut.Separately, the reduction of rates offered to containerships coming from Eastern American ports and heading to South and South-East Asian ports will be kept in force until the end of June 2018.Specifically, boxships coming from the Port of Norfolk and its northern ports en route to the ports of Port Kelang and its eastern ports will be granted a reduction of 45 pct.Containerships coming from ports south of Port of Norfolk heading to ports of Port Kelang and its eastern ports will be granted a reduction of 65 pct.Additionally, vessels coming from ports south of Port of Norfolk destined for Port of Colombo and its eastern ports located just up to Port of Port Kelang will get a reduction of 55 pct.The extension comes on the back of longer duration of toll cuts offered to dry bulk vessels by the canal authority.
Chennai: The opening clash of the Indian Premier League (IPL) between the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) might have seen MS Dhoni’s Chennai boys run riot with a seven-wicket win, but the skipper understands the need to be cautious with wickets like the one prepared at the MA Chidambaram Stadium here for the game.“I never expected the wicket to play how it actually played and it was too slow and it just reminded me of the 2011 Champions League wicket. After the IPL, we came back and we had a really good season, the wicket got relaid and all of a sudden we found it very difficult,” Dhoni said after the game on Saturday.“I feel if the wicket stays like this, it will be tough for us also. The wicket definitely needs to be a lot better than where it is right now, even with dew it was still spinning big. I feel it needs to be high-scoring, even the opposition would have known that it was a slow wicket.“Something close to 140-150 is something you are looking at. 80, 90, 100 or 120 is really low-scoring and if you have genuine spinners in your line-up it’s very difficult to score runs. I feel the wicket needs to be much better than how it is now.”Dhoni said that he wasn’t expecting the wicket to play the way it did.“No not really, I wasn’t sure about the wicket. We played a practice match on the same wicket and it was not turning so much. It was slightly a high scoring match, but usually in practice matches there’s a tendency we score 30 runs more than a normal match.“Because of that reason we thought if we win the toss we will put the opposition in and also there’s fair amount of dew,” he explained.The skipper said that the biggest issue with a wicket like this was if Chennai ended up losing the toss because even the CSK batsmen would then at time have to bat first and there are players in the line-up who like to score freely. IANSAlso Read: SPORTS NEWS