Rowing team hosts annual Erg-A-Thon

first_imgThe Notre Dame rowing team will host its fourth-annual Erg-A-Thon on Friday afternoon, as the team works to raise money for pancreatic cancer research.“We started [the Erg-A-Thon] four years ago because a couple girls on our team had parents or relatives affected by pancreatic cancer,” senior Christine McGough said. “It’s a pretty serious cancer. It’s one of the most deadly cancers of the most common ones.”Last year’s Erg-A-Thon raised over $9,500 dollars for the Harper Cancer Research Institute, according to senior and co-chair of Erg-A-Thon Vicky Ryan.“We donate the money to undergraduate research over there, so it’s going right back to the school,” Ryan said.At the event, there will be a line of “ergs” set up, which are the rowing machines used by the team to train during South Bend’s winter months, Ryan said. For a small donation of $3, a person can choose to row or have one of the girls on the team row for them in races against friends or other distinguished Notre Dame persons.“We’ve had races where different athletes will come and race,” McGough said. “Our manager came and raced us last year … We had a couple professors come out and race last year. It’s a fun event.”McGough even admitted that last year, the team manager raced against and actually beat her.“It’s a sprint at the Erg-A-Thon though,” McGough said. “Sprinting isn’t my thing.”In addition to the rowing, there will be a raffle with various Notre Dame prize packages, she said.“There’s going to be women’s basketball game and men’s basketball game tickets and signed ball packages,” McGough said. “There will also be a Brian Kelly signed football with field passes to the Stanford game, and naming rights to one of our boats.”New this year is the added dimension of a quad competition, McGough said. Whichever quad of dorms races the farthest will be given a few points towards the Hall Cup, since the rowing team does not have an actual home meet. There will also be t-shirts available that the rowing team designed specifically for the event.“There’s a purple one and a pink one,” McGough said. “But the purple one is the main one, since that is the color of pancreatic cancer [awareness].”Even though rain is in the forecast for Friday afternoon, McGough said she believes the day will still turn out beautifully.“We’ll be there rain or shine,” McGough said. “Everyone else should come out and have a great time. It’ll be lucky. We’ve had four years of good weather, so fingers crossed.”The Erg-A-Thon will be on Fieldhouse Mall, just behind the Lafortune Student Center from 12 to 7 p.m., Friday afternoon.Tags: Erg-a-thon, harper cancer research, rowing teamlast_img read more

Double digit surge in unit values

first_imgReal Estate Institute of Queensland Townsville zone char, Ben Kingsberry of Harcourts Townsville, said people were “finally” recognising Townsville’s great value.“It’s been underpriced for a long time and people around Australia have finally woken up to it,” he said.The area still represents some of the best priced investment values, with the median house price at $308,868 and median unit value at $230,402.CoreLogic data showed 2,281 houses were sold over the 12 month period and 506 units, with investors drawn to strong gross rental yields – which was 6.2 per cent for houses and 6.5 per cent for units.The Regional Market Update showed that sales were also surging, up 12.5 per cent over a year ago. Demand is rising for quality homes in Townsville.Lead agent Julie Mahoney of Ray White said 2020 started out very strong.“Townsville being regional has had its challenges in the marketplace for a prolonged period of time, but January and February were some of the best that we’ve seen since 2007 and probably the secondary peak in 2012.”She said the high end market was going “exceptionally well” above the $1m market.But, she added, people were also looking for quality in all price ranges. “There are still some really good purchases however the inner city market is showing great attraction for people relocating from the suburbs, wanting to be closer to the city.”“I’m also seeing a huge trend in people that I have sold for in the past who have relocated to the major cities wanting to return with their families to live in paradise, and because, through COVID-19, it’s taught them that we are capable of working from anywhere remotely.” More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:58Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:58 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD432p432p216p216p180p180pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenHow much do I need to retire?00:58 Townsville from the air. Picture: Zak SimmondsTownsville has emerged with double-digit growth in median unit values in the year to April, with activity continuing to surge despite COVID-19 lockdown.Latest regional council figures by property analysis firm CoreLogic found median house values grew 3 per cent in Townsville over the 12 months to April, but its units surged a massive 11.7 per cent. Home built by pokies heir has jaw dropping twin pools MORE: Moving back in with Mum and Dad Mr Kingsberry said the industry knew there was a recovery underway.“We were expecting these positive numbers,” he said, “the markets been buoyant in the last six months. Even as we’ve had the COVID-19 lockdown in place the vacancy rate has continued to fall in Townsville and we’re still seeing market activity. Our feeling is the market is still rising a little bit.”“COVID-19 really hasn’t had a negative impact on property prices at all that we’ve been able to see. Townsville’s underlying economic recovery is so strong that despite having the COVID crisis, we’ve actually weathered the storm quite strongly.”He said there was continued activity from all areas of the market including interstate and local buyers, with a surge out of first home buyers especially.“First home buyers responding to low interest rates, that’s probably the most surprising thing for us.” FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER ON FACEBOOKlast_img read more

Osimhen dreams Premier League move, consults Ighalo

first_imgLille striker Victor Osimhen has admitted a desire for England move in the future, adding however that it has to be to a club where he will enjoy playing time. Osimhen who has since become a must play at Lille where he has so far scored 13 goals for the Ligue 1 side in 27 appearances described bench warming as a harrowing experience that should not be experienced by any player. “Of course, one day I’d like to play for a big club in England,” he told the Independent. “My priority is to play a lot of games. Signing for a big club as being on the bench is not exciting for me.” The former VfL Wolfsburg forward revealed that he has been chatting with compatriot and on-loan Manchester United striker Odion Ighalo about life in England’s top flight and sundry matters. “I’ve spoken to Odion [Ighalo] about it. He gave me very good advice; he’s a legend and a big brother. My goal is to play at one of the biggest clubs in the world but now I’m very happy in Lille.Advertisement Osimhen who has registered four goals for the super Eagles in nine appearances was eyeing increase in his goal tally both for country and club before rampaging coronavirus forced the clampdown on all sports activities across the globe. Victor Osimhen makes a pull out for the Super Eagles in one their matches The former under 17 and 20 ace had been named among players that would have scored at least one goal in the 2021 Nations cup qualifiers lined up before the lockdown. March 27th would have been a date of battle between Super Eagles and Leone stars of Sierra Leone at the Stephen Keshi Stadium Asaba, but for the Covid-19 induced lockdown which has forced the cancellation of most sports events including the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Read AlsoAiyegbeni tips Osimhen to become one of world’s best striker No fewer than seven big clubs including Real Madrid, Liverpool, Spurs, Manchester United and Barcelona have at one time or the other in the course of the now rested season shown interest in having the Nigerian in their fold. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayHow Traditional Wedding Outfits Look Around The WorldWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime10 Stunning Asian Actresses No Man Can Resist7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The World5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A DroneCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?Look At Something Beautiful That Wasn’t Made By A Human Beingcenter_img Loading… last_img read more

Foundation for men’s volleyball set in place

first_img“Between The Lines” runs every other Wednesday. To comment on this article, visit dailytrojan.com or email Duke at [email protected] Four of the country’s top prep volleyball players — Tyler Cundiff, Ben Lam, Robbie McKnight and Austin Rysyk — will join USC for the 2012 season, USC coach Bill Ferguson announced on May 19.The new class features state and club champions, players selected to be part of the national team’s pipeline of talent and a multitude of individual accolades.“We’re thrilled to have these players join our program,” Ferguson said. “They will contribute to our team immediately by adding talented depth and they will be a big part of the future of our program.”These new recruits will be charged to be part of a reloading process that will have to replace the efforts of four seniors that made up the country’s top recruiting class in 2007.This time, however, the expectations are geared toward continuing a growing legacy rather than starting a new one.When Ferguson was hired in 2006, the Trojans were fighting through a four-year stretch where they placed 11th out of 12 teams in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Conference.Upon hire, Ferguson was inexperienced as a coach. He had, however, fostered deeply rooted connections in the high school club volleyball scene as a coach of the Southern California Volleyball Club. His skills as a recruiter were polished as he was finely in tune with the prep scene.“I knew how to recruit, put a team together and get things going,” Ferguson said. “I always said that if there were a school that could revive themselves, it would be USC.”As a result of the young coach’s leadership, the Trojans have been to two NCAA Final Fours in the past three seasons. This season, the Trojans paraded through the season as the No. 1 team, ending the season in a close five-set match in the NCAA semifinal.The Trojans were under the steady guide of four senior leaders this season — the four that made up Ferguson’s first recruiting class, ranked as the best in the country.Through the most tense moments and through tedious lulls, outside hitter Tri Bourne, setter Riley McKibbin, opposite Murphy Troy and middle blocker Austin Zahn have set prime examples of work ethic and persistence that propelled the Trojans to a No. 1 ranking throughout the season.The four were chosen to be engines for a top-down program overhaul. Where pre-Ferguson teams were plagued by academic shortcomings and trouble on the court, his first recruits were top-notch athletes as well as high-achieving students.The maturity and leadership skills demonstrated by the four student-athletes laid the foundation for an improved brand of USC volleyball. In the last three years, the Trojans have been to the NCAA Final Four twice, while reaching the NCAA championship match once.The four boast seven combined All-MPSF awards and five All-American awards. McKibbin and Troy have served as co-captains for three and two years, respectively. Troy and Zahn were four-year starters and Bourne and McKibbin were three-year starters.Cundiff, Lam, McKnight and Rysyk will be integral parts of the effort to reload and regain national prominence.The four will add depth — and possibly replace — three of the four positions vacated by the 2007 group. Rysyk will strengthen the outside hitter position that lost two of its top three to graduation. Similarly, Cundiff and Lam will provide depth to the middle blocker position that graduated two of its top three. McKnight will vie for the setter spot vacated by three-year starter McKibbin.As the Trojans’ season came to a close in the NCAA semifinals, the fearsome recruiting class from four years ago left the floor, never to return. They took a bottom-feeder program and turned it into a national powerhouse. They finished the regular season with a No. 1 ranking the last two years and earned a trip to the national championship match the year before that.These Trojans have yet to bring a national championship home to the Galen Center, Ferguson’s and his first recruits’ combined effort to lead USC volleyball back to dominance during their collective stay is laudable. By building a program of successful students and excellent athletes, their legacy will live on through the success of their understudies for seasons to come.last_img read more

Trojans fall short in double overtime

first_imgIn a tight matchup that required two overtimes, the USC men’s basketball team was unable to take advantage of 19 Nebraska turnovers and two late leads, falling 64-61 to the Cornhuskers on Monday night at Galen Center.Inside presence · Junior forward Aaron Fuller, pictured here during last Friday’s game against Cal State Northridge, finished with 13 points and six rebounds during Monday’s double-overtime loss to Nebraska. – Chris Pham | Daily TrojanThough USC (1-1) led 49-45 with just under a minute remaining in regulation, a Nebraska field goal and free throws on consecutive possessions, knotted the score at 49. Sophomore center Dewayne Dedmon missed a 15-footer on the final posession of regulation and the game went into overtime.Holding a 52-49 lead with one minute remaining in the first overtime, Nebraska guard Bo Spencer drilled a 3-pointer with a little more than 40 seconds left to tie the game at 52.On the next possession, sophomore guard Maurice Jones, off a Dedmon screen, wormed his way to the basket for a layup to give USC a 54-52 lead with 6.5 seconds remaining. But on the next possession, freshman guard Alexis Moore fouled Nebraska’s Toney McCray with 2.8 seconds remaining. McCray made both free throws, thus bringing the game to a second overtime after a missed desperation three-point attempt from Jones.Freshman guard Byron Wesley opened the second overtime with a breakaway layup, but Nebraska quickly answered, bringing the score to 56-56. After a Dedmon goaltending call, Nebraska jumped ahead 58-56. Nebraska guard Brandon Richardson — the team’s returning leading scorer from last season — made his fourth three-point field goal, affording the Cornhuskers a five-point lead from which USC would never recover.For the second straight game, senior guard Eric Strangis opened the scoring for the Trojans, drilling a 3-pointer — the Trojans’ first 3-point field goal of the season following a 0-15 shooting effort from beyond the arc against Cal State Northridge.USC exchanged baskets with Nebraska throughout the first half, drawing even at various points but never pulling ahead of the Cornhuskers after an early lead. Dedmon had to exit the first half early for the second straight game because of foul trouble and managed just four points.Moore answered USC coach Kevin O’Neill’s challenge to improve his play, as the Long Beach Poly graduate led all USC players in the first half with eight points, including both of his 3-point attempts. Moore, however, would not score again until converting a 3-point attempt with 45 seconds remaining in the second overtime.After a dead-even first half where Nebraska led 25-23, Jones began the second half with an aggressive drive to the basket, laying the ball in for his second field goal of the contest, while also drawing a foul. After that basket, the USC offense stalled, as the Cornhuskers went on a 13-5 run to build a 38-31 lead.When it appeared Nebraska was pulling away, Jones took control  scoring 16 of his 18 points.last_img read more

Sports Analyst:Drop Muntari for World Cup group decider against Zambia

first_imgSports Analyst Ebo Appiah is calling on the Ghana Football Association(GFA) to axe midfielder Sulley Muntari for the 2014 World Cup group decider against Zambia in September.According to the experienced analyst, the AC Milan ace has not shown much remorse for throwing tantrums at coach Kwesi Appiah after this month’s clash with Lesotho despite confirming the incident on JOY Sports.Muntari was unhappy after he was replaced by Emmanuel Agyemang Badu during the penultimate qualifier against Lesotho in Maseru where the stars won by 2-0.He refused to sit on the bench and walked straight into the dressing room, a scenario which has been hugely criticized in the local media.According to the report Muntari subsequently confronted the coach in the dressing room over the substitution – a fact that the AC Milan player has acknowledged he did.The incident according to Ebo has infuriated the Ghana trainer who is expected to wield the disciplinary axe on the former Sunderland man. “Kwesi Appiah is having a serious rethink about the future of Muntari in the national team,” a source close to the Accra daily claimed.“Only an unqualified apology can save Muntari for now but Appiah is truly disappointed and hurt by the player’s actions.”Muntari is a reformed character who has been working as the statesman and peacemaker in the Ghana squad until the latest behavioural setback.last_img read more