to go further August 5, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Judge refuses to hold CIA in contempt of court for destroying torture tapes June 7, 2021 Find out more News News Reporters Without Borders continues to be perplexed by the impunity enjoyed by senior US officials responsible for a serious freedom of information violation. A federal judge this week refused to hold the CIA in contempt of court for destroying 92 videotapes depicting the torture of two prisoners in the course of the “war on terror.” Organisation April 28, 2021 Find out more News Help by sharing this information Follow the news on United States NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say United StatesAmericas News Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says RSF_en June 3, 2021 Find out more United StatesAmericas WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists Receive email alerts According to CNN, then CIA director Michael Hayden said in a 2007 memo designed to help protect CIA employees involved in acts of torture that the videos “were no longer of intelligence value and relevant to any internal, legislative or judicial inquires.”The court first ordered the CIA in September 2004 to produce or identify all records regarding the treatment of detainees in its custody. But the CIA did not produce the videos and did not reveal that they had existed until 2007, shortly before amendments to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) took effect on December 31st, 2007.Following federal prosecutor John Durham’s November 2010 decision not to file charges against any of the CIA officers who destroyed the videos, the ACLU wanted to at least get the CIA held in contempt of court for destroying them.“We argued that the CIA showed complete disdain for the court and the rule of law itself when it flouted several court orders to produce the videotapes and instead destroyed them,” the ACLU said this week.In the name of democracy and its Constitution, the United States should reveal the truth to its citizens and the international community. Reporters Without Borders thinks that an investigation is needed into the practices that prevailed during the Bush administration and the destruction of evidence of illegal interrogation methods. The ruling was issued on August 1st by Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein of the US district court for the southern district of New York, in response to a motion by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) that dates back to 2007. Hellerstein did ask the CIA to publish its forthcoming document-destruction policies and ordered the CIA to pay all of the ACLU’s attorney fees.The judge also praised the ACLU for managing to get the federal authorities to release documents about detainee treatment. “What you and your colleagues have done in getting this story to the American public has been extraordinary,” the judge told the ACLU. “Bottom line, we’re in a dangerous world. We need our spies. We also need surveillance.”The federal authorities confirmed on March 2nd, 2009 that 92 videotapes showing the torture of two Saudi detainees, Abu Zubaydah and Abd Al-Rahim Al-Nashiri, were destroyed by the CIA in 2005.
Every Goal, Every Game, Every Day – Listen live hereAt Euro 2016, 24 nations have been whittled down to eight, which means we’re finally at the quarter-finals stage of the tournament.Poland have made it to this point having finished second in Group C, behind Germany, and they then defeated Switzerland in the round of 16 on penalties, as the match finished 1-1 after extra-time.Their star of the show so far hasn’t been Bayern Munich hotshot Robert Lewandowski but Grzegorz Krychowiak, while Borussia Dortmund winger Jakub Blaszczykowski has netted twice and grabbed one assist in their four games.The Poles will be up against a Portugal side who are stuttering and stalling their way through the tournament.Fernando Santos’ side snuck into the round of 16 as one of the best third placed sides, after finishing behind Hungary and Iceland, where they defeated much-fancied Croatia 1-0 after extra-time.Cristiano Ronaldo is sputtering into life in France, while Renato Sanches’ display from the bench has pushed him into a starting role this evening.Confirmed teams:Poland XI: Fabianski, Piszczek, Glik, Pazdan, Jedrzejczyk, Blaszczykowski, Krychowiak, Maczynski, Grosicki, Milik, LewandowskiSubstitutes: Szczesny, Cionek, Jodlowiec, Linetty, Stepinski, Wawrzyniak, Peszko, Salamon, Zielinski, Kapustka, Starzynski, BorucPortugal XI: Rui Patricio, Cedric, Pepe, Fonte, Eliseu, William Carvalho, Joao Mario, Renato Sanches, Adrien Silva, Nani, RonaldoSubstitutes: Lopes, Bruno Alves, Carvalho, Joao Moutinho, Eder, Vieirinha, Danilo Pereira, Rafa, Quaresma, EduardoLIVE on talkSPORT: Poland v Portugal – click here for live commentary from the Stade Velodrome in Marseille at 8pm (BST) on June 30, 2016. Poland v Portugal: Euro 2016 live stream commentary on talkSPORT 1
Diego Costa scored his 11th goal of the season as Chelsea made their early dominance count.Costa neatly controlled Oscar’s left-wing cross and instantly volleyed the ball past Ben Foster to put the unbeaten Premier League leaders on course for a sixth home league win from six.Before the Spaniard’s strike, John Terry almost opened the scoring from a well-worked short corner, but his close-range shot was turned just past the post by goalkeeper Ben Foster.Oscar almost made it 2-0 with a swerving effort after great work by the excellent Eden Hazard.And Costa missed a fine chance to double the lead, slicing wide from a Branislav Ivanovic cross.Cesc Fabregas started for the Blues, while Willian replaced Ramires.Chelsea: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Matic, Fabregas; Willian, Oscar, Hazard; Costa.Subs: Cech, Zouma, Filipe Luis, Ramires, Schurrle, Drogba, Remy. West Brom: Foster, Wisdom, Dawson, Lescott, Yacob, Baird, Gardner, Brunt, Dorrans, Sessegnon, Berahino.Subs: Myhill, Gamboa, McAuley, Morrison, Anichebe, Samaras, Ideye.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients ‘Why even bother? UNHRC is a toothless tiger’ – Roque PLAY LIST 01:32‘Why even bother? UNHRC is a toothless tiger’ – Roque02:36Archers, Eagles favorites to win UAAP Season 8001:18Why some freed inmates prefer to stay in jail01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Finding his team trailing by two points after being in control for most of the game, Paul Desiderio’s voice resonated during University of the Philippines’ huddle with five seconds remaining.“Atin na ‘to, pasok to (This game is ours, I’m making the shot),” the swingman told his teammates.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. In the second game, defending champion La Salle rode the hot hands of Aljun Melecio as it turned back Far Eastern U,95-90, in their first meeting since their infamous brawl in Davao three weeks ago.Melecio waxed hot with 29 points, while Andrei Caracut and Kib Montalbo contributed 16 and 12 points, respectively, for the Archers who also got solid games from big men Abu Tratter and Prince Rivero in the absence of reigning MVP Ben Mbala.Mbala is away on international duty for Cameroon in the Fiba Afrobasket.The Archers came out aggressive, leading by as many as 23 points early on.While it was too close for comfort, the win was just the kind of game that Perasol liked since it achieved one of his targets when he took over the team last season.ADVERTISEMENT View comments LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Desiderio made good on his promise, hitting a fallaway triple off a well-designed inbound play as the Fighting Maroons eked out a 74-73 victory over a gritty University of Santo Tomas squad in UAAP Season 80 basketball tournament at Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.“During our last timeout, he called it,” said Perasol of his prized guard, who made just one of his 10 triples before the game winner. “He told me ‘coach, we will win, I’m making the shot’ because our instruction was if you’re open at the three-point area, take it.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutDesiderio’s shot with 1.4 ticks left capped a wild finish where both teams bungled possessions.“I was taking so many shots,” said the Cebuano guard, who made just six of his 20 shots. “Why would I shy away from taking the last shot?” LATEST STORIES BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Menor’s record win Read Next E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad “The UP community may not care what happened during the game, but it generated excitement,” said Perasol.The Maroons led by as many as 11 points in the second half only for the Tigers to come roaring back in the fourth period to dispel notions that they aren’t good enough to contend this season.“A lot of people are not giving UST a chance but it can give teams a fight,” Perasol said.UP 74 – UST 73UP 74—Desiderio 17, Vito 9, Webb 7, Gomez de Liano Ju 7, Manzo 6, Gomez de Liano Ja 6, Ouattara 4, Lim 4, Prado 4, Dario 4, Lao 4, Romero 2, Harris 0.UST 73—Lee 20, Akomo 15, Sta. Ana 11, Soriano 8, Huang 6, Garcia 5, Faundo 4, Arana 2, De Guzman 2, Basibas 0, Caunan 0, Kwawukumey 0, Macasaet 0, Romero 0.Quarters: 18-19, 42-33, 57-57, 74-73LA SALLE 95 – FEU 90DLSU 95—Melecio 29, Caracut 16, Montalbo 12, Tratter 11, Santillan 9, Ricci Rivero 7, Baltazar 4, Go 3, Prince Rivero 2, Paraiso 2, Capacio 0.FEU 90—Dennison 21, Comboy 13, Orizu 12, Tuffin 10, Cani 7, Tolentino 7, Parker 7, Iñigo 5, Escoto 5, Trinidad 3, Nunag 0, Ebona 0, Bienes 0.Quarters: 29-11, 47-32, 73-54, 95-90 Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president MOST READ
With the launch of Hyperstone’s latest X1 low-power SSD controller comes the release of Hyperstone’s newest technology – FlashXE eXtended Endurance. FlashXE is a feature set that comprises of extensive calibration, error correction recovery, error avoidance and refresh mechanisms in order to ensure maximum reliability of NAND flash-based storage systems. As cost of NAND flash memory is reduced due to higher densities and new technologies like 3D NAND have entered the market, the technology and algorithms required to manage this medium need to advance. Consequently, error correction and complex flash management requirements have never been higher. The FlashXE ecosystem addresses these issues through an environment of different fetaures, mechanisms and algorithms to prevent, detect and correct errors.The collective of features and process’ start to optimize long before errors occur or the system is even assembled. A qualification process characterizes each supported flash type over its lifetime and different operating temperatures. This knowledge is then implemented in the basic flash support of the firmware and delivered with the controller. The next phase, during operation, ensures the controller continuously adjusts the voltage levels of the read-out circuit over the flash’s lifetime. The controller also takes further steps to prevent errors such as dynamic data-refresh, near-miss ECC and read disturb management. In the subsequent phase, in which errors occur in spite of the precautions mentioned before, there is a strong error correction in two separate modules, one being based on a BCH-code as well as the new generalized concatenated code with support for soft-decoding.The FlashXE collective is available with Hyperstone’s latest flash controller, the X1. The X1 is a highly efficient, low-power SSD controller for rugged and industrially demanding NAND flash based storage solutions.Share this:TwitterFacebookLinkedInMoreRedditTumblrPinterestWhatsAppSkypePocketTelegram Tags: Chips & Components Continue Reading Previous Renesas completes acquisition of IDTNext VadaTech: 3U VPX, dual RF agile transceiver solution with VITA 67.2 RF connector
The Minister was speaking at a United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)-hosted breakfast forum at the Courtleigh Hotel in New Kingston on Friday (March 8) to commemorate International Women’s Day. “The Government affirms that gender equality is an essential requirement for attaining this. We remain committed to gender equality as a precondition for and indicator of a people-centred approach to national development,” she said. Story Highlights Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, says the Government remains committed to promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls for sustainable development.“The Government affirms that gender equality is an essential requirement for attaining this. We remain committed to gender equality as a precondition for and indicator of a people-centred approach to national development,” she said.The Minister was speaking at a United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)-hosted breakfast forum at the Courtleigh Hotel in New Kingston on Friday (March 8) to commemorate International Women’s Day.The event was held under the theme: ‘Breaking Through to Next-Level Gender Equality in the Jamaican Workplace’.Ms. Grange, who commended the UNDP for its commitment to promoting gender equality through its Gender Equality Seal certification programme for public and private enterprises, indicated that the Government’s longstanding relationship with the organisation will be strengthened by their common vision of providing equal opportunities for all persons.She also endorsed the forum’s theme, noting that “it fits perfectly with the Government’s gender mainstreaming programme which gives priority focus to women’s empowerment to achieving gender equality”.Ms. Grange pointed out that Jamaica is experiencing a new consciousness in relation to gender equality, arguing that a gender transformative agenda is critical to, not only maintaining peaceful communities, but building sustainable and flourishing national economies.Meanwhile, UNDP Resident Representative in Jamaica, Dr. Elsie Laurence-Chounoune, commended the Government for its strides in gender mainstreaming.These advancements, she noted, have resulted in the elevation of a significant proportion of women (59.3 per cent) to managerial positions; high levels of female enrolment in tertiary institutions; and notable progress in piloting development of the Sexual Harassment Bill and National Policy on Gender Equality.Dr. Laurence-Chounoune said the UNDP’s Gender Equality Seal certification programme emphasises the need for greater workplace equity, and encouraged private sector and quasi-public enterprises to participate in the engagement.She pointed out that the programme is designed to improve staff retention, increase productivity, reduce absenteeism and provide greater return on investment.“Your company’s gender equitable footprint is likely to have a well needed positive ripple effect for gender equality throughout Jamaica, which is intrinsically linked to sustainable development and is vital to the realization of human rights for all,” she addedThe breakfast forms was jointly hosted with the Bureau of Gender Affairs and Jamaica Chamber of Commerce (JCC).It featured presentations from representatives of several leading private sector firms participating in the UNDP’s certification programme, which was launched in Jamaica in 2017.International Women’s Day 2019 was observed on March 8 under the campaign theme: ‘#BalanceforBetter’.The global theme was: ‘Think Equal, Build Smart, Innovate for Change’. Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, says the Government remains committed to promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls for sustainable development.