ICC Rankings: Steve Smith extends his lead over Virat Kohli to 34 points

first_img Next Asian News International DubaiSeptember 10, 2019UPDATED: September 10, 2019 14:36 IST Smith has extended his lead over India skipper Kohli at the No. 1 spot (Reuters)HIGHLIGHTSSteve Smith topped the ICC Test rankings for batsmen after his heroics in the 1st two Tests of the ongoing AshesPat Cummins has also maintained his top position in the bowlers rankingsA number of Afghanistan players have also moved up in the rankings after their maiden victory over BangladeshAustralian batsman Steve Smith has extended his lead over India skipper Virat Kohli at the number one spot in the ICC Test batsmen rankings. Smith now has a lead of 34 points over Kohli as the rankings were revealed on Tuesday.The 30-year-old batsman scored 293 (211+82) runs in the fourth Test and as a result, he has further consolidated his position. With this, he is virtually assured of the top spot after the end of the five-match series between Australia and England.Aussie pacer Pat Cummins also remains at the top spot in the bowlers rankings. The bowler took seven wickets in the recently concluded match and as a result, he has 63-rating points ahead of the second-placed Proteas bowler Kagiso Rabada.India’s Jasprit Bumrah is positioned at the third place. Josh Hazlewood has also entered the top ten for the first time in his career. He has moved to eighth place.Afghanistan’s 224-run win over Bangladesh in Chattogram has also resulted in major gains for their players. Afghan skipper Rashid Khan’s player of the match effort of 11 for 104 has lifted him from 69th to 37th position in the bowling rankings.Former Afghan captain Asghar Afghan’s scores of 92 and 50 have taken him from 110th to 63rd position while Rahmat Shah’s century in the first innings has helped him move from 93rd to 65th.Also Read | Rashid Khan spins Afghanistan to famous Test triumph over BangladeshAlso Read | World Test Championship: Why Australia are 4th despite Ashes-retaining victory in ManchesterFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAjay Tiwari Tags :Follow Virat KohliFollow Steve SmithFollow Ashes 2019 ICC Rankings: Steve Smith extends his lead over Virat Kohli to 34 pointsWhile Steve Smith held a slender 1-point lead over Virat Kolhi at the beginning of the 4th Ashes Test, the Australian batsman scored 293 runs in Manchester to make sure he ends the series as the No. 1 ranked batsman, no matter what happens at The Oval.advertisementlast_img read more

Southern Rail drivers reject £75000 pay deal and trigger overtime ban

first_imgTrain drivers have rejected an offer of £75,000-a-year in pay in a long-running dispute that has caused misery for commuters, Southern rail bosses have said.The offer had been made last week, as passengers faced disruption from the end of the month as a result of a ban on drivers doing overtime by the union Aslef. Aslef and the RMT are embroiled in long-running disputes with Southern over staffing and driver-only trains, which has caused chaos for 300,000 passengers with repeated strikes over the past 15 months.Southern Railway’s parent company Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) said it had offered employees a “very generous”  four-year pay deal worth 23.8%.It would take a driver’s base salary from £49,001 to £60,683 for the existing 35-hour, four-day week. Most of Southern’s drivers also work a fifth day as overtime, which tops up their pay by 25 per cent, taking the potential total pay to over £75,000. A spokesman for GTR said: “The Aslef leadership has twice accepted the extension of driver-controlled operation and asked us this time to package it up with a pay deal.”We’ve made a very generous offer that in four years would take a driver’s base salary to £60,683 for the existing 35-hour, four-day week, so we find this threat of an overtime ban surprising and extremely disappointing.” Strikes have become familiar for Southern passengersCredit:Nick Edwards The group’s case is being supported by the disabled and older people’s charity Transport For All.Summer Dean, of ABC, said the court date will be the most important day in its campaign, and was the only chance of bringing the “never-ending rail crisis” to a close. Meanwhile, leaders of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) will meet this week to decide their next move in the long-running rows at Southern, Merseyrail and Northern about driver-only trains.It comes as a commuters’ group seeking a judicial review of the Government’s handling of Southern Railway has secured a date for a court hearing to press its case.The Association of British Commuters (ABC) will attend a so-called public permission hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice in London on June 29 – the same day as the overtime ban by Southern drivers starts.ABC said the court hearing will finally bring the principles of the case into the public arena and could lead to a full-blown judicial review. However the rail operator said talks aimed at resolving the dispute had ended without agreement, and Aslef had ordered the overtime ban to go ahead from Thursday next week.A spokesman told the Evening Standard: “We take that to mean rejection of our [pay] offer”.  Services were badly disrupted the last time Aslef launched an overtime ban.center_img Aslef said it had not made a formal decision on pay. One train driver said they were satisfied with the pay but there were still concerns over safety. Southern rail RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “The spotlight is now well and truly back on the basket-case Southern Rail franchise and their unconditional support from this minority government regardless of the safety and service consequences.”RMT’s executive will be considering the next steps in the guards’ and drivers’ safety disputes this week.” Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more