House suffers 150000 damage in fire

A fire caused an estimated $150,000 damage to a home  in Port Dover last week.Norfolk County firefighters responded to a fire on Pansy Ave. shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday.Crews reported heavy smoke coming from a single storey detached home. Flames were visible at the back of the structure.The resident was able to remove herself and her cat from the building before calling 911. She was asleep on her couch and woke up to smoke coming from the laundry room.Firefighters were at the scene for about  2.5 hours fighting the blaze.Probable cause was electrical, fire officials said. It’s believed the house was insured but the contents weren’t.“There were no smoke alarms in the home at all,” Michael Atkins, Norfolk County Fire Prevention Officer, said. “The occupant was extremely lucky that she woke up when she did and was able to escape.”Although working smoke alarms are required by law, many Norfolk County homes do not comply with Ontario Fire Code requirements.“In March of this year our firefighters visited four different areas of the county and unfortunately only 51 per cent of the homes we visited were in compliance with smoke alarm laws,” said Atkins in a press release. read more